Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Week 3 in CCM Mexico (January 28, 2014)

This week was good! I AM SICK THOUGH.
Last Tuesday after I finished emailing we went to the clinic and saw the doctor. I had a high fever, the result of a bad cold. He instructed my companions, who were also sick, and I to get lots of rest. So for a whole week we got to sleep in! My companions are better now but I saw the doctor again yesterday and my body couldn’t heal myself from the cold and it started to turn into something worse so the doctor gave me antibiotics and some other stuff. I am slowly getting better but I'm still sick, unfortunately.

I gave a talk all in Spanish on Sunday! The way sacrament meetings work here is that everyone writes a talk on the same assigned topic and then during the meeting we find out who is talking right then and there. And I was the third person picked on Sunday to give my talk on the atonement. Good thing this talk was the best one I've written yet! I used a lot of scriptures and bore my testimony a lot haha. The talk only has to be 5 minutes but I was still nervous. I think I did a good job. I took a picture of the talk and will send it after this email!

My Spanish is progressing, but slowly. I feel like I’ve learned so much in the past three weeks. I can have very small conversations and I can understand so much. I understand other people talking very well but it’s just the talking back that I struggle with haha. Just like in French!

The days here are very long, and there’s never a free moment. But I guess that is good because it hardly gives anyone any time to think about all the things and people we miss. But I do daydream A LOT haha.

I love having two companions. We are always laughing and having a fun time. It can be hard during meetings with investigators, because it can be hard to split out our time and thoughts between three people, and because my two companions are more advanced at Spanish than I am. Starting tomorrow I am supposed to do 60% of everything in our companionship, planning and talking during meetings as assigned by our afternoon teacher Hermano Castallanos. He’s the same age as me which is funny, but he knows a lot about missionaries and how to be a good one. Last week while teaching our investigator, Ryan, Hermano Castallanos sat in to help us but I was so nervous because he was intently watching us and I froze. AND THE WHOLE THING WAS IN ENGLISH. So he left because he could tell I was nervous. And then it got a lot easier when he left haha; Shame on my part.

 This whole week I’ve been thinking about how much I miss going to see movies and eating popcorn. I miss it! Everyone at the CCM gets to watch a church movie every Sunday, in the huge auditorium. This past Sunday we watched two short films, not as fun as last Sunday we watched a movie about Joseph Smith. I know I’ve seen parts of it but the whole thing was so good. I'm definitely a fan. During the "romantic" scenes everyone got all giddy and it was HILAROUS. I just wish we could have popcorn too haha

I love my district so much. We do everything together. My companions and I are the only girls in our district; it’s fun anyway. The elders are so funny and very mature for their age. Our district leader, elder Saunders, is the second youngest out of everyone but he is so mature and our maestro even guessed that he was 20. We did a thing where everyone was trying to guess everyone else’s first names and one of the elders guessed my name on the first try. Everyone said that I look exactly like my name. They are a really cool bunch of people and we have a lot of fun during our looooong days in class. I am learning so much here, not only about the Spanish language, but also about the gospel of Jesus Christ. I enjoy it but it can also be VERY exhausting. I love how kind everyone is and the peacefulness of the CCM. I can't wait to hear from everyone again next week! Love you!

-Hermana Jaquez

District 12A 
I look awful because I'm sick. 
<3 Hna. Young
Ready to email 
medicine

0 comments:

Post a Comment