Monday, May 12, 2014

Week 18 (May 12, 2014)

Week 12 in Honduras

This past week was fun, like always. We did a lot of work and we had a lot of fun.
I feel like this past week we worked really hard and taught a lot and helped a lot of people come closer to the gospel.

Instead of taking about what we did this week, I want to talk about one of the great things about this area and about missionary work.

Luis got baptized last Sunday, which I mentioned last week, but this past week was the week we truly saw a huge change in him. He accompanied us on several lessons with investigators and bore testimony and also helped explain certain concepts. What I like was that they were very simple explanations but gave a lot of insight. As missionaries, sometimes we forget to keep it simple and want to talk a lot about everything. Hearing Luis bears his testimony many times this week and telling stories about his conversion, we had never heard before, was great.  He also started going to institute and has been spending more time with members in the ward. I know that with the help of others in the ward, Luis can continue to grow in his testimony and grow in confidence and find a family in the ward here, but that also depends on the members.

As members of the church I am now realizing how important our role is. Before my mission I absolutely did not think about this relationship, at all. But it really is important for members to embrace new members and even, especially, investigators. Please, if you see an investigator with the missionaries on Sundays, go up and introduce yourself, and get to know that person help them feel welcome and help the investigator see the church as a warm and welcoming place. If that person can find friendship and confidence through the church, they are more likely to progress in their learning, and also progress after their baptism into a strong active member of the church.
I guess what I am saying is that this week I learned a lot about the importance of members and missionary work.
Talking to you guys on Skype last night for mother's day was amazing. And I am so grateful for technology and for the ability I have to video call my family yesterday and in a few months at Christmas.
 I miss you guys!

Sam






0 comments:

Post a Comment