Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 7 (February 24, 2014) FIRST WEEK IN HONDURAS

(Honduras Week 1)

I am in Honduras!  I didn’t get to email last week because everything was so crazy with planning and traveling. We arrived here the day after pday; which is on Mondays here.

I can hardly remember the last week at the CCM but I know it was full of excitement and bonding with my companions and my district. We left the CCM at 5:30am on Tuesday 2/18 and traveled for 12 hours to Tegucigalpa. Our first night in Honduras was nice and it was just us three at the Mission home. The next day a bunch of other new missionaries arrived from the Guatemala CCM. We were the only Americans ha-ha. The day after that, Wednesday, we got our new companions! It was really hard to leave Hermana Young and Hermana Bleak because we became so close and best friends during our stay at the CCM.

My new companion, and my trainer, is Hermana Saldate she is from California. I am so grateful that she speaks English. She is so patient with me and my Spanish. She is always trying to help me out whenever she can.

My first week here in our area, a small town called Yusguare, has been amazing. I've experienced and seen so many things that I never thought I would. Our area is in the south of Honduras and it is SO HOT. I am convinced that it is the single hottest place on the entire planet. But somehow it also isn’t so bad when I focus on our purpose and on the people. The people here are so nice and welcoming. They are always trying to help me with my Spanish when they can. Teaching people about the gospel is amazing and nothing like I imagined. It is so much different than in practice. And feeling the spirit and seeing the members understand their relationship with god is really beautiful. Speaking during the lessons is not so bad because I am getting better at remembering and using those words. It is much easier that just casual conversation.

This week we have gone around and met most of the people from the church and gotten to know them. On Saturday we did a service project with the young women and the young men to clean up the park. We picked up trash and painted and it was really fun. When we were finished everyone played soccer and they were so good. Haha.

One of the most amazing sights I have seen here is the night sky. There aren’t any big city lights at night in my area and when I look up the sky is just FILLED with stars. It is amazing. I could look at them all night.

Our house currently does not have any electricity and the entire of the town doers not have running water. As you can probably imagine, this makes everything so much different. One of the biggest things I am getting used to is bucket showers. This is basically just dumping a bucket of water on yourself several times as you clean yourself. Also today I washed my clothes by hand and it is very time consuming ha-ha. I know that living this humbly is going to bring great blessings and I know that one of them is to become closer with the people who live here.
I am still getting used to this area, and to Honduras but I know that this is where I am meant to be and I know that if I am patient with the language, have faith, and remember my purpose we can do amazing things.

I miss you guys so much and I hope all the pets are doing well. I think about you guys all the time. Earlier today I was thinking about how we always go to the movies together. And that nice air-conditioning. that sounds super nice. Haha. I love you guys!

Hermana Jaquez

And now...A TON of pictures. Prepare yourselves.

Traveling to Honduras:

the last of our district (the morning we left the ccm) 
i can't believe i got to talk to you guys 
plane buddies

landed safely in tegucigalpa 
at the mission home on our last night together as companions
on the bus to changes

------------------------------------------------

First Week in Honduras:
a completely normal reaction to this heat in southern Honduras 



our bedroom 
our kitchen

0 comments:

Post a Comment